Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Day 2


Shelter-In-Place Involuntary Quarantine, Day 2:  Beautiful, sunny day today, temps in the high 60s/low 70s - a perfect spring day.  After two days of rain, I couldn't stay cooped up indoors any longer, so I took advantage of the exemption in the mayor's order that allows walks along the Beltline trail.  It was fairly crowded but at least along my stretch of the trail, the underdeveloped northwest portion, people were pretty good about complying with the social distancing rule of staying 6 feet apart from others.

Neighbors two houses down from me just put a "For Sale" sign up in front of their home.  I don't know anything about the circumstances, but I can't imagine a worse time to put a house on market than during a two-week "shelter-in-place" order.  I hope they're well.

Another neighbor a few doors further down was out tending to her yard.  We exchanged brief pleasantries from a distance, and assured each other that we were both healthy and fine.

I'm going to run out of paper towels before I run out of toilet paper.  The  sad thing is, you can substitute one for the other, but not the other way around.

I've been hearing the sound of children playing outside the past several days.  It's a cheerful, delightful sound, but different - children had been in school prior to the pandemic, and on weekends they were apparently involved in all their organized activities (sports, lessons, or wherever it is parents take their kids these days), so I didn't much see or hear from them.   But with schools closed down and extra-curriculars deemed "non-essential," the kids have been making do by playing out on the street.  Again, it's not only fine but something I enjoy hearing.  Really. 

Twelve more days to go.

No comments: