Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Atlanta Shuts Down for Covid


I knew it would happen - on Day 10 of my self-imposed quarantine, Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announces a 14-day shelter-in-place order, effectively quarantining the entire city for two weeks.  The executive order took effect at midnight last night and will last until April 7.  My 10 days of isolation will be 24 days, at least, before this is all over.

Individuals can leave the house only for essential activities, including grocery shopping, pharmacy visits, etc.  City parks and the Beltline trail will remain open, but people are advised to maintain social distancing measures, including staying at least 6 feet away from others.  

Publix supermarket announced special 7-8 a.m. hours for seniors only to shop without crowds of potentially infected people and while the stores are freshly cleaned and the aisles stocked.  I went this morning, and even though I got there right at 7 sharp, there was no toilet paper, no soaps or disinfectant products, and no fresh meat.  I'm still well enough stocked to make it through the next two weeks even if I don't return to the market again, especially after this morning's shopping, but can imagine others getting panicked about bare pantries and empty shelves.

Here are some pictures I found on line (not my photography) of Atlanta in shut-down mode.










No comments: