Monday, April 06, 2020

Day 14


Shelter-In-Place Involuntary Quarantine, Day 14:  I thought this would be the end of it - it's the last day of Mayor Bottoms' 14-day shelter-in-place order - but Georgia's dim-witted Republican governor apparently didn't get the memo about how contagious the Trump flu is until late, and now I have another week to go.  It wouldn't surprise me if the order doesn't get extended further still - deaths in Georgia aren't expected to peak until April 23, although new infections may have peaked prior to that date.

There are now more that 7,500 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Georgia, and sadly, tragically, 294 deaths so far.  More than 31,000 tests have been conducted across the state, and about 24% have returned positive results.

A mere month ago, I was remarking that there were only two cases of coronavirus here in Georgia - the father and son of a family that just returned from a trip to Milan - and that I wouldn't be at all surprise if the total wouldn't eventually exceed 1,000 or more.  Now we're three and a half times that estimate, and probably have another three weeks to go before we find out how high the numbers will rise.

The Great Quarantine Housecleaning Project stalled in place due to a shortage of paper towels.  I'm not out (yet), but I opened my last roll late last week and was dismayed at how fast I was going through them.  I can still vacuum and use rags and old t-shirts for dusting, but without paper towels I can't do the kind of deep cleaning for the remainder of the house that I did for the first five-sevenths.

Also (and the hits just keep on coming), my old washing machine of the last 15 years finally died.  It's not a great time to go out shopping for new appliances or to be scheduling home installation, so I may resort to hand-washing laundry before all this passes.

No comments: