Sunday, April 05, 2020

Dreaming of the Masters


Shelter-In-Place Involuntary Quarantine, Day 13:  Cheatin' Brain Kemp had me so angry yesterday that I forgot Saturdays were for DotM posting.  I'll try to make up for it by posting this classic from Miles, seeing as to how Bitches Brew just celebrated its 50th birthday.  Plus, right now, on this 13th day of quarantine, America needs some bad ass to run the voodoo down and slap a little gris gris on coronavirus' mojo. 

It still blows my mind how incredibly crazy the lineup on this track is.  The front line consists of Miles on trumpet, Wayne Shorter on soprano sax, and the underrated Bennie Maupin on bass clarinet.  The two electric pianos that start dueling at the 8:00-minute mark are Joe Zawinul and Chick Corea.  That funky electric guitarist is John McLaughlin.  There are three drummers - Lenny White (left channel), Jack DeJohnette (right channel) and Don Alias (also on left) - and two bass players (Dave Holland and Harvey Brooks).  Juma Santos plays the shaker, congas, and other percussion.

Bitches Brew came out in 1970, although I didn't buy myself a copy until 1974.  It wasn't my first jazz LP, but certainly among my first dozen.  In any event, happy birthday, Bitches Brew, and we miss you, Miles!

No comments: