Monday, August 20, 2018

Truth


As much as it pains me to admit it, for once I have to agree with Rudolph Giuliani - truth isn't truth.

No, I'm not saying that x does not equal x, I'm stating that since "x" is just a symbol for something else, and what you think it symbolizes, we'll say x', and what I think it symbolizes, we'll say x'', are almost never the exact same thing, at least in their entirety.  So since truth x' does not equal truth x'', truth is not truth.

Still with me? Another way of thinking about it is that since all words and concepts are just mental models of reality but not that reality itself, the real truth, ultimate truth, can't be expressed in words. So in that regard, truth is not real, truth isn't truth.

Or to put it in still other ways, truth isn't Truth.  Truth isn't "The Truth."  "The Truth" isn't true.

A lot of my work involves litigation support and expert testimony, and it's not infrequent that I'm giving depositions or testifying in court. "Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" I'm asked, and I have to reply "I do" even though I have no idea what "truth" ultimately means and even less idea what they think it means.  So right from the bat, I guess I'm purjuring myself.  I might have to bring Rudy along next time I'm testifying to clear things up.  

(Note: if you're an attorney reading this while gathering background information on me for an upcoming case, I was just joking up above.  Just riffing on words there. To ease your concerns, while I may not know what truth is, I believe we all know what a lie is, and unlike our President, I'm not a liar.)
      
Still, though, Giulini is an idiot, so let's all laugh at him anyway.  He had no higher meaning behind his words other than to try and weasel his way out of the rhetorical corner into which he had painted himself, and "truth isn't truth" was the best he could come up with.

What a doofus!   

No comments: