Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Difficult Times


This too shall pass.

That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Tough times don't last - tough people do.

These are among the cliches and aphorisms that I've been telling myself these past couple weeks.  My fledgling new business has been slower than it's ever been, and I'm encountering a "perfect storm" of financial setbacks - little to no current work to bring in money and clients who for various reasons are delaying paying past due invoices for previous work performed, all occurring at the time of year when property taxes and some other extraordinary payments are due (not to mention last month's quarterly income tax payment).  Long story short, I'm still paying my bills on time, but mainly by cannibalizing my savings, not a sustainable strategy for obvious reasons.  

But I am confident that this too shall pass and these tough times won't last.  Zen practice helps me calm my mind when I start to panic with paranoid fantasies of what could happen, and assists me in determining what's appropriate and necessary to do about it.  This includes both cutting back on some discretionary spending, focusing on bringing in new work, and utilizing my down time productively (I just completed an on-line training course last week).

I know I'm not alone in staring down the gun-barrel of monetary hardships in these difficult times.  I only mention my troubles here to let others know that while I share the hardships, there's still a way not to compound the misery with self-created anxiety and worries.

No comments: