Thursday, November 17, 2005

Buckhead Jeep called after having my car overnight and delivered the bad news: the clicking sound I heard in the engine was due to some sort of flakes of metal they found in the engine's oil, indicating that something inside the engine was falling apart. The good news, at least to them, was that they just happened to have a spare Jeep Cherokee engine around the shop that they could replace my engine with for about $6,000. While they were at it, there are leaks in the front axle and the pinion and other maladies that will bring the whole repair to about $8k.

I drive a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The book value of the car is only about $6,000, and even that assumes that it's in good working condition. It doesn't seem prudent to put an $8,000 repair into a $6,000 automobile.

I guess I'm in the market for a new car.

Meanwhile, I haven't had a working television since the end of August. To replace what broke down in kind (50-inch Magnavox projection) will cost about $2,000.

But I guess I'm in the market for a new t.v., too.

Further, I still haven't found a buyer or a renter for the Unsellable Condo in Vinings. But I'm still paying a second mortgage, monthly condo association fees and utilities for my former little corner of paradise.

Oh, yeah, and I'm waiting on a call back from the doctor after yesterday's test to find out whether or not I have prostate cancer.

But all that's looking at the glass as half-empty. Here's the positive outlook:

I get to have a new car! And a new t.v.! And I already have a second home that's just full of possibilities. And I'm going to get a phone call to confirm my good health.

Pick your medicine. It all tastes the same, but it's up to you whether or not you enjoy it.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Im cheering for you!

Kathleen Callon said...

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I'm not an expert about astrology, but I've read that Mercury is retrograde which many say means communication and mechanical devices tend to fail, fall apart, and fritz but that it should only last a couple more weeks. Don't know how you feel about astrology, but if I were you right now, I'd be wishing this were true and hope for things to get better. Peace.

Kat

Shokai said...

Kat -

Regarding my feeling about astrology and Mercury in retrograde motion, please check out http://shokai.blogspot.com/2005/03/mercury-goes-retrograde.html
Are you sure we weren't married in a former life? ;o)

Kathleen Callon said...

I just read the post. Funny, and who knows, maybe I was.

Strange true story: I was at Lake Shrine by some of Ghandi's ashes, and a man named Robert came up to me and said his runes had sent him there, but he wasn't sure why until he saw me, and he wanted me to ask him some questions with my thoughts (without speaking). At first I thought he was crazy (still think he was "out there"), but then he told me my sign, my son's sign, and my husband's exact birthday. He said I am and old soul and my purpose in this life is to channel the good of the past into the present as a ?medium? (scary). He also told me my mother in law had been my sister (she had already told me she had dreams we had been) and my husband I are dual travelers.

Who knows, maybe between marriages with Chris, we met? Just Kidding.? Have a great Thanksgiving.

Kat