Friday, November 18, 2005

3.3

I told Buckhead Jeep that they can keep their spare Cherokee engine, and to just put my car back together and let me take it home. I'm not paying $8,000 (I don't have $8,000) for a new engine for a six-year-old car.

While I was on the way to the mechanics, I got a call from my doctor: my PSA, which was previously measured at a disturbingly high 14.2, almost a sure indication of prostate cancer, was now down to 3.3, a very safe, "normal" and non-carcenogenic level. The doctor wants to check the level again in a month, and for now, the prognosis is much improved.

So this weekend, I will gingerly drive the Jeep to various car dealerships and start looking at new vehicles. Which, of course, opens a Pandora's Box of questions: should I buy another SUV or be more economical and eco-friendly and get something more fuel efficient? Should I buy something along the status line, say a German import or sports car, or buy a plain sedan, something less likely to call attention to myself and reinforce the ego? What do the Amish drive? (Oh yeah, right - forget that thought.)

I opened the zendo tonight, and nobody showed up. None. Zero. It was a cold, cold night here in Atlanta, the first really cold evening of the year, and that may have kept some folks away. Checking the attendance records for previous weeks, I saw that non-sesshin Fridays were only averaging two or three people, so it wasn't like tonight was a huge shift.

So there I sat on my non-cancerous prostate gland, all alone in the zendo, the compromised Jeep the only car in the parking lot, and at the half-hour struck the gong and began the Great Heart of Wisdom chant ("Form is emptiness, emptiness is form," etc.) just as if there were 30 people in the room. I sat in silent meditation for one 45-minute period and then rang the bell for kinhin (walking meditation) and got up, snuffed out the incense and candles, and headed home to bed.

3 comments:

Kathleen Callon said...

Good news about your health. Bad news about your Jeep.

I have a 1994 Cherokee Laredo with a straight six engine and even though it has over 130K miles on it, it runs like new, and all I do is get it serviced once a year and keep up on oil changes. If you can find one, I'd recommend it. (V6s and V8s are a nightmare, though.)We've also had great luck with Volvos. We have two, and they also have over 100K, but their engines are still going strong.

One of our friends bought a diesel (SP?) truck and just paid $700 for a kit to convert it to veggie oil, and even though he smells like french fries half the time, he's happy with it.

Hope it works out. Peace.

Kat

Shokai said...

Thanks, Kat. By the way, there's worse things to smell like than french fries - it beats smelling like the Exxon Valdez at low tide . . .

Kathleen Callon said...

Your welcome, and that's true.