Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Happy Solstice!

Meanwhile, back at the dentist's, I got a deep cleaning this morning - under the gums, between the teeth, and all around. "You get an electric toothbrush with this treatment," the hygienist said, meaning they were selling me one as a part of the package.

The bill came to $340.

But the more interesting bill was the estimate for the full treatment they worked up for me, to fix all of my fucked-up teeth:

3 molar root canal therapies - $990/each
11 crown-porcelains fused to high noble - $975/each
3 abutment supported porcelains, fused - $1,725/each

And so on. The total work up came to $20,900.

My insurance covers $1,000.

Some people look at my crooked teeth and see an earthiness. Others see a lower middle-class upbringing. Still others see a dental hygiene failure.

I think the dentist saw a sailboat in Barbados.

When I look in the mirror, what I see now is $20,000 in savings.

No comments: