Thursday, January 13, 2005

Return to Karate



What was it that Yogi Berra once said? "Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded?" That's what gyms are like in January. After the feasts of the holiday season, the gyms of America all fill up with resolutionaries, who crowd the regulars out until about Valentine's Day, when they lose their enthusiasm and the gyms go back to normal.

So, having missed my karate classes for much of December due to travel and the holidays, I felt like one of those resolutionaries myself as I went in tonight for the first time this year. However, much to my surprise, the class was only at about 3/4 of the regular-size crowd - no herd of thunder-thighed newbies, no fugitive couch potatoes trying to get back in shape.

Except, of course, for me.

But all the instructors greeted me like I had just been there yesterday.

Meanwhile, though, it appears that the White House finally called off its search for WMDs last Christmas, according to the press. And guess what?

They didn't find any.

Something about massive intelligence failures, billions of dollars spent needlessly, tens of thousands of lives lost for no reason. Of course, even if the WMDs were found, the loss of lives would not have been justified. But nobody really seems to have the stomach to discuss it as the colossal blunder that it is.

However, the truly impressive thing is this blog is starting to finally get some hits! It seems that Wampum has nominated my MSNBC screenshot of December 12, 2004 for The Koufax Awards: Most Humorous Post. Okay, you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to find me there, but I'm on the list. Personally, I didn't find the screenshot all that amusing, but what the hell? 37 hits from that link alone. That's a lot of hits for this modest little blog stuck away in an obscure little corner of the internet.

Think I ought to tell them I found the screenshot over on usenet (no idea who uploaded it) and that it wasn't original? Or do I just pull a Jayson Blair?

No comments: