Friday, March 25, 2022

Return to Big Ears

On my first  trip since the pandemic began, hell, my first time doing anything since the pandemic began, I drove to Knoxville, Tennessee yesterday for the 2022 Big Ears Festival, the festival's first offering since March 2019.


The first set that I caught last night, and my first time at a show since February 2020, was the improvisational duo 75 Dollar Bill, performing as a 9-piece band (guitar, sax, two violins, two basses, and three percussionists) at The Standard. 


Another large outfit, Damon Locks' Black Monument Ensemble, was next at the outdoor Tennessee Amphitheater.


Nest up was Austrian electronic music producer Fennesz at St. John's Cathedral.


And finally, Minnesota's Low performed the headlining set at The Mill & Mine.

For those curious about such things, proof of vaccination was required to obtain a wristband for admittance, and I wore a mask at the 75 Dollar Bill set at The Standard and at Low's set at The Mill & Mine. I didn't wear a mask at the outdoor Tennessee Amphitheater for Damon Locks.  I didn't wear a mask at Fennesz's set at St. John's Cathedral either because I figured the covids wouldn't dare infect me in a church.  

I'll be in Knoxville for the next three days for the festival.








No comments: