Saturday, July 10, 2021


I'm still adjusting to vaccinated, post-pandemic life.

I still keep a couple of masks in my car and I always have a cloth mask folded up  in my back pocket just in case.  If I'm entering a public space, say the post office or the supermarket, and I see others wearing masks, I'll put mine on.  Not for my own protection or even for theirs from me, but for the peace of mind of those still wearing masks for whatever reason.  Maybe that woman in the supermarket is immuno-compromised or otherwise more vulnerable to the covids than most.  Maybe that guy in the post office is caring for an elderly relative, or has unvaccinated friends.  Maybe there's just no reason at all, maybe they're just paranoid and still living in the past, but for their comfort and peace of mind, I'll wear a mask too.  It costs me nothing, it's not inconvenient, and I won't get mistaken for a MAGA asshole.

On the other hand, if I see that no one else in a restaurant or shop is wearing a mask, I won't either.  I'm vaccinated and I'm not in close contact with any unvaccinated, vulnerable persons as far as I know.  I'm not about to start shaking hands though - that's one gross level of personal contact that I think is now outdated and obsolete.

Live music shows are starting up again, and I look forward to hearing bands at the venerable Earl soon, and Variety Playhouse.  I'm dining out more often than in the past 16 or so months, when the frequency was effectively zero.  I still haven't made up my mind about travel, but more due to a post-retirement, what-will-I-do-with-myself quandary than concerns about the covids. 

No comments: