Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Have you ever tried to explain something and after a while just throw up your hands and say, "You had to be there?"

Did you ever spend time composing a post, and then later completely delete it from your blog because you realized that the more words you used, the further from the point you were getting?

Greensmile asked, "I began to distrust the word "accomplishment" a while back. . . Is this similar to your realization that practicing Zen in a way that is also a striving to be recognized for that practice subtly defeats the practice?"

"Nothing subtle about it."
That's as much of the original response as I saved. I blathered on and on about form and practice, egolessness and the original self, and so on, but after reading all of my words back, I realized the fingers were pointing in so many different directions, even I forgot where the moon was.

Dropping away mind and body. Just sitting. No attainment.

You connect the dots.

3 comments:

GreenSmile said...

"...that the more words you used, the further from the point you were getting?..."

This is either the essence or the bane of my blogging. Without that ineffective exuberance, most blogs would dwindle down to one sentence of 7 or 8 words.
...we'd all be zen bloggers if they were the right 7 or 8 words.

GreenSmile said...

. . . . . .

Shokai said...

[gassho]