Thursday, September 05, 2024

Day of the Animal Mind

 


Those three tropical waves in the Atlantic with potential to develop into hurricanes are now five separate hot spots. At least one has already been hijacked by the Gulf Stream and is heading north well off the East Coast of North America, but the others are all potential threats. That one off the coast of Texas is still farting around on the Gulf Coast causing torrential rain and another is wedged in between the Yucatan and the Mexican mainland. The remaining two are out in the Atlantic and it's anyone's guess where they're heading next.

Meanwhile, my cumulative walking distance now extends from my Atlanta home all the way to Pittsburgh. Fun fact: I moved back to Atlanta from Pittsburgh in 1993, so I'm metaphorically retracing my steps.

But while I'm writing, the Gaming Desk is jumping up and down with its hand up and going, "Ooh, ooh!" It wants to say that last night it finally beat the game Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

We didn't like the game. Sorry if that offends any of you Play Station enthusiasts from 2011, but the game's painfully outdated now. The graphics suck by modern standards and the mechanics are clunky and confusing. Your inventory for weapons, ammo and supplies is way too limited and the maps often give you no idea where you're supposed to go. I found the main protagonist way too comically macho, all grim scowl and laconic dialog. He wore sunglasses most of the time, even indoors at night. I didn't care about any of the side characters or NPCs. When I finally beat the final boss and ended the game, I felt only relief that the game was over and absolutely no desire to play it again.

Hey, I bought it on Steam for $2.99 and played for 52 hours, so I shouldn't complain. I got my money's worth. Also, I played the game only in preparation for its sequel, 2016's Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Hopefully, that will be a better experience.


No comments: