Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Grain Passage

 


Fun with climate change: Beryl is tracking as predicted and is over Detroit today, with heavy rainfall (2 to 4 inches) expected across portions of the southern Great Lakes, central and northern New York, and northern New England tonight. A few tornadoes are possible today across upstate New York, northern Pennsylvania, and parts of New England.

Meanwhile, a broad trough of low pressure located a few hundred miles off the Georgia coast continues to produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions appear only marginally conducive for development of this system into a hurricane over the next couple of days before it moves inland over the Southeast by this weekend.

There are the days that test my resolve to keep my every-other-day walking routine. Yesterday, although the high temperature was only 92°, the mid-afternoon relative humidity was 56%, making it feel like 102°. There were some clouds in the sky, but every time I was between shady stretches, the sun was beating down ferociously. At these temperatures, heat cramps and heat exhaustion are possible, and continued activity could result in heat stroke. I still completed my walk, though (5.1 miles). Seasons change, however, and in a few months I'll be craving some of that warmth, should I survive this summer - that is, if the heat and the hurricanes don't get me first.

No comments: