Sunday, May 05, 2024

Day of the Blue Circle


Good morning! I wake up, stretch my arms, shake the last remnants of sleepiness from my head. Eliot, my cat, jumps up on the bed to greet me and get a few head scratches, which he promptly receives. Yesterday's rain has moved on and it promises to be a sunny and pleasantly warm spring day. 

I put on a pot of coffee and look at the day's news on my laptop.

The Israeli cabinet votes to shut down Al Jazeera’s operations in the country. Israel denies the U.N. World Food Program’s declaration there's a “full-blown famine” in northern Gaza. Hamas claims responsibility for a rocket attack that injured several people and closed a crossing between Israel and Gaza.

The police remove a pro-Palestinian encampment again at USC. Police arrest dozens of protesters at the Art Institute of Chicago. White, male counter-protesters in Mississippi use racist slurs and gestures to heckle and jeer pro-Palestinian demonstrators.  

A driver dies after crashing into a barrier near the White House. South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem suggests Biden’s dog should have been killed, too. Donald Trump calls the Biden administration the “Gestapo” on campaign. At Washington dinner parties, dark jokes abound about where to go into exile if Donald Trump reclaims the White House.

Now I just want to go back to bed. Wake me up when it's 2030.

No comments: