Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Overheard Rite

The wheel of the year turns to the gateway of Spring - the first day of Spring heralded by the vernal equinox when primordial forces of fertility, life and renewal are strong. It is a balancing point between the opposites, inviting integration and wholeness. . . beyond duality.

I got my 10,000 steps in yesterday, but just barely - 10,049 steps (4.0 miles) according to my phone.  And no, I didn't walk in circles around my house late at night to goose the total up over my goal.

Now, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should continue to drink whole milk. The grade A whole milk from my local supermarket has no sugar and 25 mg of cholesterol (8% RDA) per cup. One cup has 13 grams of carbohydrates, a small amount (5%) and not something worth worrying about, even on a daily basis. 

The problem is with fat. I understand people with prediabetes should limit their saturated fat intake because it can negatively affect their risk of diabetes and heart disease. Saturated fats can also cause insulin resistance, a hallmark of type 2 diabetes and worsening type 2 diabetes. Saturated fats can also cause inflammation and weight gain. 

One cup of whole milk has 4.5 grams (23%) of saturated fat. But from what I've read, whole milk tends to have a lower glycemic impact than low-fat milks (non-fat, 1%, 2%, etc.). It's believed the fat in whole milk can actually slow down the processing of sugars. Some studies have even linked low-fat dairy consumption to a higher risk of prediabetes and others have linked high-fat dairy to a protective effect. 

Of course, not drinking any milk alleviates concern about low-fat versus whole.  My take is, like everything, moderation.  I can - and will - still have whole milk with my low-sugar cereal (e.g., Post Great Grains Crunchy Pecan - 8 grams, or 9%, total sugar). But just not everyday - maybe 2 or 3 times a week.  

Besides, low-fat milk basically tastes, to quote Ron Swanson, like milk-flavored water.

No comments: