Friday, March 29, 2024

Day of the Ascendant


Day of the Ascendant in the Universal Solar Calendar falls on the Christian holiday of Good Friday this year, and this Sunday, Easter, will be Day of Mourning. Strange coincidence, or deliberate provocation?

The Gaming Desk has finished playing Assassin's Creed - Mirage. We played for some 66 hours, which is impressive for a game that is supposed to last only 24. We spent a lot of time in exploration mode, trying to find every last little treasure chest, book, and other hidden object. We enjoyed the game - it was your standard Assassin's Creed experience without breaking any new ground - but probably won't remember it long, which may be good if we ever replay it.

We since moved on to a Marvel game, our first. Guardians of the Galaxy was a  freebie we got from the Epic Games launcher. The visuals are pretty good and the game has the same quirky humor as the movies (and the comic books, I suppose), but the game-play and especially the combat is ass.  Wave after wave of enemy combatants and once you've finally beaten them all, you advance a small distance only to have to face hordes of the same enemies again. This rinse-and-repeat approach is tedious and monotonous, and quickly becomes a grind. I estimate I'm only halfway through based on the number of "chapters" and it's only mere stubbornness on my part that I haven't quit yet. Gameplay is more a chore than a pleasure.

I splurged and bought myself the second Horizon game - Forbidden West. I really enjoyed Zero Dawn, and Forbidden West just recently came out in PC format, so I'm looking forward to it. Hang on Aloy, as soon as I get through this Marvel boondoggle, I'll be there!

No comments: