Monday, March 18, 2024

Day of the Gamelan


So am I really doing this? This morning, I had an English muffin - no butter or topping - for breakfast. Am I really going to be the kind of person who has an English muffin for breakfast? 

Recent bloodwork indicates that I'm prediabetic, and while I can't change my lifestyle overnight, I can begin here and now the gradual change to a healthier diet and more exercise.

So am I really the kind of person who has an English muffin for breakfast? Apparently, not yet. Yes, I did have a muffin this morning - a low-fat, "light" muffin with <1 gram total sugar, lightly toasted. I had to pull the toaster out from deep storage in the back of a cupboard and to give you an idea of how long it had been there, there was a refrigerator magnet attached to it bearing a calendar for 2007. But in addition to the muffin, I had two large cups of coffee - black, no sugar - a banana and an orange.  And some plain yogurt mixed with strawberries and blueberries and topped with a sprinkling of granola.

My revelation for the morning came with my breakfast beverage. For almost a year now, before even morning coffee, I've been drinking a small bottle of water to start the day.  For a while, it was Vitamin Water, but that stuff's expensive and besides, my supermarket's been phasing it out of stock. I switched to Gatorade, which is a lot cheaper and more plentiful on the supermarket shelves, but this morning I saw on the label that a 20-ounce bottle of Gatorade contain 34 grams of sugar, 69% of the recommended daily allowance.

I knew Gatorade contained salt and heard warnings about its sodium levels, but I had no idea there was that much sugar.  So much for that as my morning beverage.

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," we've all been told, and I think I gave my breakfast due consideration. It was reasonably filling and kept me going through a 2:00 pm tax prep appointment, and I still had enough energy to go afterwards and get my car washed.  When I got back home, I did my walking exercise, totaling four miles and 3,265 steps for the day. 

After I got back home from my walk, I finally ate an admittedly late lunch - a Caesar salad topped with chicken. I got in a little more exercise taking out the trash and rolling the dumpster down the steep hill of my driveway.

Somewhere along the line I ate another orange and toasted another English muffin.

Dinner tonight will probably be a 6-oz beefsteak (left over from before I discovered my elevated glucose), with a dollop of mashed potatoes and a bunch of green beans. If I need to snack, there's more oranges and handfuls of roasted peanuts in the pantry.

One day of this new diet and exercise, and it's got me blogging about it like I've accomplished something. I promise I won't be uploading my daily menu every day, but it's a start and I do feel like, yes, I have accomplished something, at least by my standards.

No comments: