Tuesday, January 23, 2024

The Last Counsel

 

Today, January 23, is The Last Counsel in the USC.  That's "counsel," with an "se," not the "ci" "council." In observation of the day, I turned to the I Ching for counsel. Late last year, I had a little project on Instagram that involved me throwing the I Ching every day for 64 days straight, but I haven't consulted that oracle since last New Year's Eve. 

Today, I got the 38th hexagram, K'uei (Estrangement). Fire above, the lake below.  No moving lines, but the main oracle reads, "Fire distances itself from its nemesis, the Lake. No matter how large or diverse the group, the wise ones remains uniquely themselves. Small accomplishments are possible." 

The interpretation reads, "You are working at cross-purposes with another, and the distance between you is very wide. The gap can be closed, however, with no compromise of your integrity. You are not adversaries in this case - just two persons addressing individual needs. Ask yourself: are these needs mutually exclusive? Is there common ground here? Must there be one winner and one loser? Could you become partners in seeking a solution that would allow for two winners?"

This sounds remarkably similar to (and much more cogent than) the point I was trying to make just yesterday. Why are so many differences of opinion viewed as zero-sum contests, with one party winning everything and the other party thoroughly crushed and destroyed? 

Compromise isn't a sign of weakness, it's winning a better outcome than a stalemate.   

No comments: