Sunday, January 28, 2024

Day of Drifts


The 28th day of Childwinter is called Day of Drifts in the Universal Solar Calendar. Ten years ago on Day of Drifts, there was some minor snowfall here in Atlanta, about 2½ inches, but calamity ensued. Talk show hosts and national news reporters had a field day mocking Atlanta's inability to cope with just a modicum of snow, but this picture that turned up today in my Facebook "Memories" summarizes the situation pretty well:


I also compiled a gallery of pictures from that day and posted them here.  

The weather here's been all-over-the-place crazy.  Last week, we had bitter cold temps for Georgia with lows in the teens, and then we had four days of rain with non-stop flash-flood and "Hydrologic Emergency" warnings. It was only just cloudy and drizzly for the most part, with occasional brief thunderstorms, but hardly the catastrophe we were warned about and the temperatures were quite mild (60s). Now,  the temperatures are in the 40s but with gusty winds knocking power out all over the metro area; I've been fine (so far). 

The spam attack unleashed on me Friday night is still ongoing, but down to a manageable 5-10 messages an hour. Annoying but manageable. I've been checking my bank balance several times a day and my money's still there, although even I can't access it.  I have to wait until tomorrow morning for the banks to open to set up a new account. I kind of feel like I've been held up at gunpoint, but managed to escape with my wallet and only minor injuries. 

No comments: