Saturday, December 02, 2023

I Am Sad


Yesterday, I threw the I Ching and got Hexagram 61, Chung Fu. Wind above, lake below. My moving line, line three, read, "True companions share their fate. One beats the drum, one grows silent. One weeps, one sings."

This oracle is interpreted to mean that one's everyday fulfillment and passing joy can come to depend on someone or something else. If things go well between the two, the one is ecstatic; if things go badly, they are miserable. Outside of this relationship, they can find neither satisfaction nor disappointment. Without other elements in life to modify their feelings, they are continually buffeted between extremes of joy and sorrow. 

Lately, that other in my life has been the Georgia Bulldogs college football team.  When they win, I am happy and when they lose, I am sad. Fortunately for me, I've been happy for two solid years now, as they haven't lost a game since December 4, 2021.  The SEC championship game. To Alabama.

But now I am sad because today - fittingly, Day of the Waste Arena, according to the Universal Solar Calendar - the Georgia Bulldogs lost. The SEC championship game. To Alabama.

And that makes me sad.

No comments: