Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Day 21


 I'm still hung up on the question of if I met myself, would I like that person?

I've settled some 900 miles from my childhood home and birth family.  I have few friends and I've managed to drive out of my life every woman who had ever loved me.  So the empirical evidence is not very promising.  

On another note, I've got my degree in geology and am registered to practice the science here in my home state of Georgia, although much of what I did day to day in my career didn't really qualify as "geology."  But I've met many geologists in my lifetime.  Some are brilliant academics well versed in scientific theory and experimental technique.  Some are  rough and tumble field geologists, equally adept at avoiding bear attack and foraging for edible backcountry food as they are at identifying the provenance of a zircon crystal in a gneissic matrix.  And some are petroleum geologists - part wild catter, part entrepreneur, part corporate drone.

And then there's the consulting environmental geologist, my field.  I'm sorry to say that with some exceptions (your truly hopefully included), they are a fairly uninspired bunch, marginally literate and lacking in curiosity.  Most seem content to apply as little knowledge as possible to as broad a canvas as they can find, and deeply resent being told of new ways of doing things, or being asked to creatively solve a new problem.

Wait a minute . . .  that judgement, that crankiness.  Is that why I've been so successful at repelling those around me?

No comments: