Tuesday, June 23, 2020

TIL


There's  a recurring theme on the internet message board Reddit called TIL, for "Today I Learned."

Well, TIL that my grandfather was a graduate of historically black Atlanta University and a friend of Dr. W.E.B. DuBois, that my great-grandfather was a bricklayer who against all odds rose during the Jim Crow Era to become the first black banker in Jacksonville, Florida, and that a distant uncle (pictured above, left) graduated from both Julliard and Howard University and had performed for Eleanor Roosevelt.

Tuns out this white boy isn't as white as he had been led to believe and for the record, he's proud of the ancestors he just discovered today. 

I initially didn't want to post this until I had some more time to process this new discovery, but these are the times and this is the record of the times, and it would have been dishonest to write about anything else today.

No comments: