Saturday, May 30, 2020

Dreaming of the Masters


For Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and the countless others who've lost their lives to racial hatred in America.

I once read that back in the 60s, an L.A. d.j. played Pharoah Sanders on the radio to calm the rioters in Watts.  Sanders' music has enough fire and energy to get a rioter's attention, but ultimately resolves to peace and love.  I've probably posted this song here before, but we need to hear it again and hear it now, and frankly I'm too lazy to go back and check.

All I can say about Sanders' solo on this piece is "I wish that I had said that."

From the 1967 album, Tauhid.  Sonny Sharrock on guitar, the recently departed Henry Grimes on bass, and Dave Burrell on piano.  Drums and percussion are by Roger Blank and Nat Bettis. 

No comments: