Thursday, May 21, 2020

Day 59


From May 13:   "I got an email from a diving shop (of all places) that I used to patronize back in the 90s saying they had a case of N-95s for sale, but when I emailed them saying I'm interested they were silent for a week (no response) and then finally replied that they were all sold out.  No way they were selling a mask in these times to a customer from 25 years ago!"

To my surprise and after at least three weeks had passed, they got back in touch with me, saying that the latest shipment of masks had just arrived from China.  I drove out there today and picked up 10 KN-95 masks for $50.

My arsenal, or if you will, wardrobe, of face masks now consists of two cloth masks hand-sewn for me by a friend,  10 factory-made cloth masks from Pakistan, and 10 Chinese KN-95 surgical masks.  The cloth masks are all washable and the KN-95s are reusable with a little maintenance.

In a perfect world, the federal or state government would be making these available at low cost to citizens to help control the covid-19 pandemic, not relying on each person to exercise his or her own personal network of friends and acquaintances - and purchasing power - to try and find the basic PPE needed to reopen the economy. 

No comments: