Friday, October 11, 2019

The World's More Full of Weeping Than You Can Understand


For some reason, I stayed up last night and watched Stephen Colbert's Late Show until the very end  (Hey, I'm a grown-up, man!  I don't have no bedtime!  I can stay up as long as I want!).  

Anyway, the show ended with a performance by the Brooklyn band Big Thief, playing a new song called Not from their new album, their second this year, titled Two Hands.

I was blown away, especially after I learned that frontwoman Adrianne Lenker cut her usual guitar shredding at  the end of the song short to accommodate the TV schedule.  I'm looking forward to seeing them at Variety Playhouse on November 7.

Unfortunately for Big Thief, though, another Brooklyn band, Swans, have released a second song from their forthcoming LP, leaving meaning..  It's unfortunate for Big Thief and for every other band that might have thought that their record would be AOTY, because if the rest of leaving meaning. sounds anything like The Hanging Man and It's Coming It's Real, no one else is going to have even a chance for Album of the Year.


In non-music news, I recently posted the picture below on Reddit that I took during one of my daily walks along Tanyard Creek and titled the post Autumn on Tanyard Creek:


To which Redditor kharedryl commented:
Where dips the rocky highland
Of sleuth wood in the lake
There lies a leafy island
In the autumn on Tanyard Creek
Which, of course, is a play on William Butler Yeats' The Stolen Child, which begins,
Where dips the rocky highland
Of Sleuth Wood in the lake,
There lies a leafy island
Where flapping herons wake
The drowsy water rats;
There we've hid our faery vats,
Full of berrys
And of reddest stolen cherries.
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.

No comments: