Sunday, September 15, 2019

Annals of Computing


It looks like I spoke too soon when I updated last Thursday's post saying that I fixed my computer problems.

After I had updated the Windows 10 OS with all of the latest patches and fixes, my computer, this computer, ran fine for about an hour, and then started slowing down again, reverting to the same unusable, snail's pace speed as before.   Every time I rebooted, there would be a small window of time that the computer was functional before it would bog down again with whatever it was that was bogging it down.

So I had no choice but to go for the nuclear option - what did I have to lose?  I performed a complete system update, totally erasing everything and reinstalling the Windows 10 OS to the way it was when the computer was first purchased.

At it's slow speed, it took the computer all day yesterday, including over all of  last night, to complete, but I was finally able to restart my computer this morning, and it took over an hour to set up Windows all over again.

So far, it seems to be working well, but I still can't tell if the problem is really fixed or if I'm still in that post-reboot sweet zone where it runs at normal speed. Time will tell, but it does seem to be working better that it has the past few days, even during the post-reboot periods.

Time will tell, but this whole process has been nerve-wracking and frustrating.

Update:  Grrrrrrrrr!  Dagnabit!

Update II:  The third time seemed to be the charm.  Nuclear option: complete system reboot, annihilating all programs, apps and features on the hard drive and reverting back to just the original OS on the original hardware.  Just like the laptop was when it first came out of the box.  Four hours later, everything's still running well. Not gonna do a victory lap yet, but it looks like I finally solved the problem.

1 comment:

misslesley said...

Can youo fix my three months old Vizio TV? I’ve tried every fix I can find on the internet to no avail. It did work for an hour last night but this morning it’s got the black screen of death, again. I even looked up tech support and warranty information on the Vizio website but they send the repair guy out to your house for 40” tvs and you know how well I can work that into my schedule, at least until Fall break. Good job I have the back up smaller tv set and don’t actually watch tv that much. I won’t even go into how frustrating it was to open the Amazon Firestick remote back when I was trying to insert new batteries. In the end, I had to find a You Tube video with instructions.