Thursday, June 14, 2018


Meanwhile, in some Third World nation, the impoverished natives are reduced to carrying their drinking water past abandoned infrastructure back to their homes.

Where is this? Haiti? (No.) Yemen? (No.) Some former Soviet bloc country? (No.)

This is Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A., at least according to Google street view.  I looked up The Bakery, site of last Sunday night's show, to see the parking situation and this image is what I found.  I'm not making fun of the person and I hope his face is sufficiently obscured to avoid any embarrassment, but frankly, I'm embarrassed for my country.  This is what we're reduced to?  Empty  infrastructure, no basic sanitary services, and a level of economic disparity where he's just trying to survive while I'm worried about parking my Lexus?   

And this while our government, even after giving out tax breaks to the wealthiest, keeps cutting back on the social safety net and has all but conceded on the "war on poverty."  While racism and intolerance are reaching new levels of acceptance.  While a combination of impending trade wars, lack of financial regulation, and rampant mindless consumerism are all but guaranteeing another recession.  Oh, and he better stand for the national anthem, because "patriotism."

This is not acceptable.

No comments: