Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Adventures in Feline Mobility


The past 24 hours have been all about cats.  Or rather, one cat in particular.

When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed that Izzy, one of my two cats, was limping and not putting any weight on one of his front paws.  It looked like the leg might be broken, but it wasn't swollen or disjointed and he didn't cry or react when I touched the limp leg and paw, or even when I gave it a little squeeze.  In fact, he didn't seem to be in any pain at all.  He just wouldn't put any weight on his left foreleg and instead hopped around the house on the three remaining legs.  Eating, he lied on his side with the bad leg curled up next to him, rather than stand over his bowl like he usually does, and then he spent most of last evening curled up in a kitchen cupboard, his "safe space," instead of pestering me all night as per his typical routine.

I called the local vet, but it was too late and no one answered.  Since he wasn't in any apparent pain, I figured I'd just watch him overnight and take him in if the symptoms persisted in the morning.

They did, so I called the local vet first thing this a.m. but they couldn't fit him into their schedule today and instead recommended a local pet hospital.  I packed Izzy up in his carrier cage, one thing cats really enjoy (sarcasm), and then took him for a ride in the car, another thing cats enjoy (more sarcasm).  It turns out that the pet hospital is open 24 hours, meaning that I could have brought him in last night had I realized.

The vets at the hospital took Izzy into a back room for his exam and after about 15 minutes or so came out and asked me which leg it was that I was concerned about.  It turns out he had started walking on all fours just fine as soon as we got to the pet hospital.  I even lifted up his two back legs and wheelbarrowed him across the examination table, but he walked using the bad leg as if there wasn't a problem in the world.  According to the diagnostic report, "At the time of presentation, the lameness appeared to have resolved."  
"I performed a complete orthopedic and neurological exam on Izzy.  Izzy had no evidence of neurological disease.  .  . At this time, I am most suspicious that the lameness you observed at home is likely due to a soft tissue injury (like a twisted joint or sprain) . . ."
"Sometimes animal patients may appear to improve when they come to the hospital due to adrenaline release.  It is possible that Izzy's lameness will return at home.   Please have Izzy rechecked by a veterinarian if his lameness persists or worsens."

The doc was prophetic.  As soon as we got home (well, after he got home and took a six-hour nap - he had been through quite a traumatic morning), Izzy started limping again.  But it appears that he sometimes forgets to limp, and I've caught him a couple of times walking on all fours today.  Little faker.  

I'm going to let this run its course for a couple of days.  If the lameness persists or gets worse, I'll schedule an appointment with a vet.  

Meanwhile, Izzy owes me $99 for the hospital exam.  But I did get to take a day off from work today because of all of this, so I guess we can call it even.

No comments: