Sunday, March 11, 2018

Time


I have to admit, Daylight Savings Time really caught me by surprise this year.  I knew that I was up late playing video games last night, but I was shocked to see when I finally logged off that it was 4:30 a.m.  It was actually only 3:30 a.m., which is still pretty late, but not as bad as the sprung-forward clock on my computer implied.  But I didn't realize that spring had sprung and went to bed still thinking it was 4:30 a.m.

As per my usual Sunday-morning routine, but especially due to last night's late hour, I slept in this morning and then did the NY Times Crossword puzzle on my iPhone while still in bed.  When I finished, I was once again shocked to see it was already 1:00 p.m.  It was really only 12 noon according to my biological clock, which is still pretty late to get the day started, but not as bad as the phone's clock indicated. 

Of course, the computer and my phone were both correct and I actually had stayed up until 4:30 and then slept in until 1:00, but my biological clock was still an hour behind on Standard Time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad it's finally Daylight Savings Time and I wish that we observed it all year long.  I like it when it's still light when I get home from work.  I like it when both the sun and I get up at the same time.  I like it when it's summer.

I don't really know why we still justify falling back again in the autumn . . . farmers?     

1 comment:

misslesley said...

Those of us unfortunate plebs who must be on car pool duty at 7:15am and therefore must arise at the most ungodly hour of 5:30am were actually enjoying taking the stupid dog for a brief walk in daylight before leaving for work. Now that we’ve sprung forward, we are once more plunged into the pre dawn darkness well until carpool duty is almost over. And WE DON”T LIKE IT. It was already quite light until well into the evening, although, admittedly, we have the most un-adult bedtime in order to be able to get top at the aforementioned ungodly hour. I wish we’d just stick with one time and not mess with it, ever again.