Monday, March 05, 2018

Five Greatest Songs of All Time


An admittedly highly subjective list, and one that's likely to change daily for me (even though I won't subject you to daily updates), but here are my as-of-this-moment-in-the-space/time-continuum selections for the five greatest songs of all time, presented in no particular order.

Sly & The Family Stone's If You Want Me To Stay (1973) is included because, well, it's Sly Stone on bass and if I have to explain it any further than that you probably won't get it anyway. Mirror Man (1971) is an extended exercise in lo-fi math blues by the redoubtable Captain Beefheart, "one of the four or five unqualified geniuses to rise from the hothouses of American music in the Sixties," according to Lester Bangs.  Leaf House (2004) is what I imagine goes on in my home every day after I leave for work and showcases Animal Collective at their most unhinged, unrestrained, and unself-conscious. A Silver Mt. Zion's Mountains Made of Steam (2000) is one of those songs that never fails to break me down and bring me to tears, before making everything all right again with its redemptive closing.  Finally, Yo La Tengo's 17-minute-plus Night Falls On Hoboken (2000) is one of those songs that can truly change your life if you give it your full attention the whole song through.

No comments: