Sunday, February 18, 2018

Why I Didn't Go To See St. Vincent at The Tabernacle Last Night

St. Vincent at The Tabernacle, March 8, 2014

  1. Even though I had tickets, on the night of the show I didn't feel like it.
  2. The Tabernacle is way downtown in the tourist area near Centennial Olympic Park and CNN Center, is a pain to get to, and expensive to park near.
  3. I  knew that if I wanted to get a half-way decent spot to view the show, I'd have to get in line at the venue by at least 6:00 pm, an hour before the doors opened and two hours before the show started, and wait around with a bunch of 16- to 20-year-olds.
  4. I've already seen St. Vincent at The Tabernacle, so there's that.
  5. I really preferred to just stay home and play Fallout than go to the show.
  6. I found that I was making a list of excuses in my mind to justify the decision I had already made.
  7. I didn't feel like it.   

1 comment:

misslesley said...

All of the above except #5. I went to the Symphony last night to hear the third Beethoven concerto in the last six weeks. I drove to Lakewood/Fort Macpherson MARTA station (5 minutes and free parking) rode the train to Arts Center (cheap and always entertaining, especially on a Saturday night), walked across the road to Symphony Hall and took my reserved seat (admittedly in the nosebleed section, but not really a problem because I had an ariel view of the pianist). No-one talked during the performance and no-one was drunk. The woman sat next to me had a cough that required sucking cough drops which was a bit irritating, but she left after the interval so that problem disappeared.I was home by 11pm. I have serious issues with the whole Woodruff Arts thing, but this was an effortless, comfortable and uplifting musical experience. That said, I have a ticket to see Tank and Bangas at the Variety and I think I’ll go to see Loma at The EARL. Wanna come?