Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Recycled Chastity Belt


Last night, Seattle band Chastity Belt played at the new, no-longer-godforsaken Masquerade, with Australian troubadour Darren Hanlon opening.  I was planning on going, but the doors opened at 7:00 and I didn't even get home from work until 7:00, and although I could still have easily made it, I was exhausted and opted to stay home and play Minecraft Fallout 4 instead.

Another reason not to go is because back on June 9 of 2015, I saw Darren Hanlon at The Loft open for Chastity Belt, who in turn were opening for Courtney Barnett (The Rolling Stones were in town that night playing Bobby Dodd Stadium at Georgia Tech).  Basically, it was the same show as last night, but with the not-at-all inconsiderable addition of Courtney Barnett.  So, since I didn't go last night, instead here's the Darren Hanlon and the Chastity Belt portions of my Music Dissolves Water review of their Loft show:

Music Dissolves Water

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 

Courtney Barnett at The Loft, Atlanta, June 9, 2015


First up was Australian singer/songwriter Darren Hanlon, who's engaging set was well received by the audience and your humble narrator.  As Hanlon sang I Waited For The 17, I realized he was talking about the very bus that I had taken on several occasions from St. John's to downtown Portland, Oregon, and I found myself mentally following the route he accurately describes in the song. 
The bus really does cross a bridge over Cathedral Park and the Columbia River beneath an "awful drop" only to end at "a mountainside of trees and vegetation." Every word of the song rings true.
So that was cool.  After a short break, Seattle's Chastity Belt took the stage.
This was my first time seeing Chastity Belt, although I've been a fan for a few years now (they formed in 2010, but I didn't hear them until 2012 or so).  I recognized, even if I couldn't name, most of the songs in their set, and they announced that the third or fourth song in their set was titled Seattle Party.


Never ones to take themselves too seriously, lead singer and guitarist Julia Shapiro wore an Olive Garden tank top, and encouraged the audience to buy a Chastity Belt tank top, even though "nobody ever wears tank tops anymore."


Back on March 20, I posted on these pages that I liked their sound and "refreshing lack of pretension about themselves."  Still holds.
Courtney Barnett wasn't scheduled to start until 10:00 pm, but she took the stage at least ten minutes early wearing a Chastity Belt tank top and started her set.


Recycling old posts . . . See? Recycling is cool!

No comments: