Wednesday, July 13, 2016

We're Not As Divided As We Seem


Tuesday, as I was attending an early-morning meeting in the James "Sloppy" Floyd Building, President Obama and former President George W. Bush were spoking at a memorial service for the five police officers murdered in Dallas last week.  Despite my grogginess from being up so early, I actually found the words of both men comforting.

Bush appealed for unity. "At times, it seems like the forces pulling us apart are stronger than the forces binding us together. Argument turns too easily into animosity. Disagreement escalates too quickly into dehumanization. Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions." 

Obama acknowledged the pain of the shooting. "Faced with this violence we wonder if the divides of race in America can ever be bridged," he stated. "Dallas, I'm here to say we must reject such despair. I'm here to insist we're not as divided as we seem. I know how far we've come against impossible odds," the president said.

No comments: