Thursday, February 18, 2016


Okay, I finally mustered the courage to look under the bed, and there were no monsters there.  I looked in the closet and found no bogeyman.  Sure, as it turns out, there was somebody lurking in the shadows outside, but he was just a municipal worker anxious to finish his job and get home and didn't want any trouble. 

In other words, all my worrying and anxieties turned out to be for nothing.  I was anxious about losing things I wanted but did not yet have, and despite assurances from everyone involved that I would get them, my mind indulged in worst-case fantasies of treachery, of being double-crossed, of not being respected.  But fantasies are just make-believe, and everything turned out to be alright in the end. 

No doubt, there were and will continue to be challenges and set-backs, trials and tribulations.  But generally speaking, they aren't as bad as we fear they will be,  Sometimes, we're our own worst enemies.

No comments: