Monday, November 16, 2015

Irish Whiskey and Soda


Success breeds conservatism.

After some mild success baking various quick breads (carrot bread, chocolate bread, zucchini bread, cranberry-walnut bread, etc.) and some muffins (blueberry muffins, banana-nut muffins, etc.), I found that I was reluctant to break away from the tried-and-true and started baking the same things over and over.  While initially I had no experience at all and everything was a new adventure to me, after gaining even the tiniest bit of expertise I didn't want to try anything outside of my newly acquired comfort zone.  Apparently, once my mind decided "I can do that" it also decided that "I can't do that other thing." 

Realizing this, yesterday I forced myself out of my comfort zone and made a batch of Irish soda biscuits, baked on a flat pan with a Silpan liner (never heard of that before) and no (gasp!) 5x9 pan or muffin tray. The dough actually required kneading, another new (to me) experience.  

They came out looking a little funny - all different sizes and irregular, asymmetrical shapes, but they tasted good - the raisins soaked overnight in Irish whiskey didn't hurt the flavor, either.

Also, new wire cooling rack.  Success also apparently breeds consumerism.

No comments: