Sunday, November 08, 2015

Carrot Bread


The rain from last week continued through the weekend, including downpours for some reason around 4:30 am both Saturday and Sunday morning.  The acorns bouncing off the roof during those downpours woke me up both times, and I couldn't get back to sleep for all the racket (and worries that something larger was going to come falling down).  The combination of insomnia and dreary weather outside has made me particularly lethargic this weekend.

I took an easy route in my baking practice today and fell back to making the carrot bread I prepared last month - an easy task to go with my lethargy and comfort food for the week ahead.  Between the cinnamon and raisins in the recipe and the orange of the carrots, it can actually pass for one of those pumpkin spice dishes so popular this time of year, which makes me wonder how much of the "pumpkin" being served right now is in fact actually carrot.    

The rain's supposed to continue through tomorrow, and who doesn't love to wake up to dark, brooding weather on Monday mornings?  I just hope the acorns let me sleep through the night tonight - I might bake them into a cake if they wake me one more time! 

No comments: