Saturday, April 26, 2014

Flowers, While Cherished, Fade

.

Still, this is the year they hung on longer than any other year.  They're not nearly as bright or as colorful as two weeks ago, but at least they're still flowering.

What makes me feel satisfied in this picture are the tree trunks in the background.  I sincerely doubt the tree trunks will have the same effect on you (why would they?), but today I spent a large part of the afternoon pulling ivy off of those trunks, pruning back privet branches from the tops on the azaleas, and even disentangling a strangler fig vine from some of the trees.  There was a lot of scrambling up and down hills (note the angle of the fence rail), extending my arms as far as I could with a big pair of pruning shears, and brushing up against thorns and pointy holly leaves, and the work exhausted me and reminded me of how out of shape I am, but now I feel that intense sense of satisfaction for a hard job done well. 

I cleared about a dozen trees but am only about half done with the yard.  I'll try to take on the rest tomorrow, weather permitting and if my strength and energy hold up.  I've actually been putting this off for a few years, but now I'm hoping that my satisfaction today motivates me to work hard again tomorrow.  

No comments: