Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Outdoor Life


I'm not complaining, but for some reason my self-employment has had me epically busy as of late with out-of-doors field work.  

January started with me field sampling at a Buckhead shopping center, and February with me field sampling at a Decatur, Georgia auto dealership.  This week, I've been sampling at a Southwest Atlanta apartment complex, and next week at a manufacturing facility in Birmingham, Alabama.  The time spent between these field adventures have been spent writing up documentation of the activities and providing an interpretation of the results.

We always complain about the weather, and I don't know if I would be enjoying this more if the work were being performed in the heat of the Georgia summer, but it's been either cold and windy or cold and rainy for much of the time I've been doing this work.  I've come home most days wanting little more than a hot bath and a warm bed.

Work seems to have always arrived as bundles of similar activities.  If I get a request for one type of service, I usually get several more similar requests and the pattern continues until I get a request that bucks the trend, but then I tend to get several more requests similar to that trend-bucking request.  In over 30 years in this business, I still haven't figured out why this pattern seems to exist and if it exists only in my perception.

No comments: