Friday, December 16, 2011

Other Lives


Now that we're past the halfway mark of the last month of the year, I think it's now safe to post a "year's best" selection.  Of all of the many concerts I've seen this year, I don't know if I can unequivocally say that the October 6 show by Other Lives at the Drunken Unicorn was the best (I'm not even sure how one defines "best"), but I can definitively say that it was the most memorable.  I can also add that it is the one I would most like to repeat.  

They're going on tour next year with Radiohead, and as much as I would like to see Other Lives again and as much as I like Radiohead, they're playing in Phillips Arena, the Atlanta Hawk's cavernous home court, and I'll likely pass.  Part of what was so great about the October 6 show was that it was in the tiny basement that's the Drunken Unicorn, and the sense of intimacy that was achieved for the crowd of a hundred or so won't even be approximated at Phillips.

Here's a full concert video of an Other Lives show in France.  Enjoy.

Postscript:  I can't post the "Best Concert of the Year" without mentioning The Head and The Heart at Variety Playhouse, Blind Pilot at Portland's Crystal Ballroom, The Antlers' morning set at The Doug Fir, Austra at The Earl, Beirut in Athens,  Motopony at Bumbershoot, and whoever's playing right this moment somewhere near you.  The list really goes on and on.

No comments: