Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Theoretical Becomes Concrete


I had an opportunity today to put practice into action.  After I was told last week that my work hours are being reduced and then was told this week that my hourly wage is also being reduced, so that I would basically be working less and for less pay, I was understandably agitated.  After my mind initially filled with fantasies of all the bad things that conceivably could happen (but most likely won't), like foreclosure, homelessness, and untreated illnesses, and my ego asserted that all of this was some sort of individual attack against me personally which shouldn't - couldn't - be tolerated, I managed to catch myself. How bad was this situation really, and why was I making it worse with my anger and rage?

Unlike a great many Americans these days, I still have a job.  Unlike a great many Americans these days, I still have some savings left if needed.  Unlike a great many Americans these days, I have the spiritual resources to deal with this situation, and the knowledge that, like everything else, this too shall pass. 

So I let the anger drop away by practicing kindness and humility instead of greed and anger.  I realized that I was experiencing anger and resentment because I was clinging to what I thought of as "mine," even though I know that attachment to wealth gives rise to greed and prevents the manifestation of generosity.  That's all fine in theory, the ego said, but don't be so naive - this is your livelihood they're messing with.

A few deep breaths.  I walked into the boss' office.  I don't think she thought me naive or Pollyannaish when I told her that I understood the business situation, and while this isn't the ideal situation for anyone, that I was sure that we would be able to work through this. I smiled, we shook hands, and I felt better and she felt better.  

We'll all survive, at least to a point, and we'll all eventually leave this mortal coil with nothing.  There's no reason to make anything bigger out of this than needed, and certainly no reason for me to torture myself over that which I can't really control anyway.  

No comments: