Friday, September 16, 2011


Elbow are coming to Center Stage, conveniently located just a couple blocks away from my house, this coming Tuesday night.  I bought my tickets months ago, but they don't make it easy on you, do they?  

I say that because a few weeks after I bought my tickets, I saw that Wild Beasts and BOBBY would be playing that same night over in Little Five Points' Variety Playhouse.  I've wanted to see Wild Beasts for a while now, and choosing between them and Elbow is a tough choice, but what I really resented was that circumstance, not preference, made the choice for me.  I might well have chosen the Elbow show over Wild Beasts, but I wanted to make the choice, not luck.  

It's actually a big night for Atlanta, music-wise.  That very same evening Dale Earnhart, Jr., Jr., are playing the Drunken Unicorn, and 80's New Wave legends Modern English ("I Melt With You") are playing at Smith's Olde Bar.  There were easier choices to make during MFNW than this Tuesday night in Georgia.

The fine folks at Center Stage, however, rewarded my decision by announcing that Glasser, the stage name of the enigmatic, lovely, and endlessly creative musician Cameron Mesirow, will be the opening act.  Frankly, I might have chosen Glasser over any of the other bands playing Tuesday night, but having her open for Elbow makes it a no-brainer.


Fun fact:  Ms. Mesirow's mother is Casey Cameron, who formed the New Wave band Human Sexual Response in Boston back in 1978.  I was a student at Boston University back then, and got to see HSR perform at Spit, a former dance club on Landsdowne Street behind Fenway Park. Fast forward 33 years later, and now I'm going to watch her daughter perform in Midtown Atlanta.

Crazy world, ain't it?

No comments: