Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I'm Back On Line

Sorry about the unexpected absence, but I've been offline.

For a while now, I've noticed that the anchor bolt holding the incoming electrical wires coming from the power pole to my house was coming loose, and starting to pull away from the eaves. On Sunday morning, I further noticed (observant correspondent that I am) that my cable modem, cable television and cable telephone were all out. I called the cable company using my cell phone, and scheduled an appointment for today, Wednesday.

It still took me a few days to put the two observations together, but I finally noticed that the anchor bolt had pulled completely away from the house, and that the wires, power, cable and telephone, were all sagging, barely connected to the house at all. I called an electrician Tuesday morning, and he had the wiring fixed by lunch that day.

Still no Internet, however. Still no television. Still no land phone.

The cable company showed up today as scheduled (I'm working from the home office today), and restored the information superhighway back to my home.

While I was off-line, nothing much happened. I completed my first week in the office at my new job (and I hate it that I had left that last plaintive posting here on the blog - things have not been bad at all). I opened the zendo on my usual Monday night, and Tuesday night was the usual monthly neighborhood association meeting.

That's about it. I'll resume the usual pointless blogging tomorrow.

2 comments:

GreenSmile said...

you are always modest about where you get the interesting [often on multiple levels] graphics. draw them or pick them, you clearly could have worked in the graphics design end of the magazine business.

Shokai said...

Thanks for the compliment.

I found the snail picture among many other strange and beautiful pictures at Gilles Tran's site (www.oyonale.com) months ago, dl'ed a bunch of his art and just dumped it all into a folder on the off chance that they might come in handy some day.

After posting the "I'm back on line" story, I searched around for an appropriate picture to illustrate the piece, and just happened to stumble across the snails.

Finding the "right" picture is all just serendipity (not synchronicity).