Thursday, January 18, 2007

I Heart Spam


Let's see what I've got in my inbox today, shall we?

First, there's this:

from: Brianna
date: Jan 18, 2007 11:25 PM
subject: Re: Looking for friend?

Hi there lovely,
This kind of opportunity comes ones in a life. I don't want
to miss it. Do you? I am coming to your place in few days
and I though may beb we can meet each other. If you don't mind
I can send you my picture. I am a gairl.
You canc correspond with me using my email


Well, that certainly sounds like an exciting encounter. And it may be refreshing meeting a "gairl" for a change, a ones in a life opportunity. . .

Then, there's this:

from: Deena
date: Jan 18, 2007 8:29 PM
subject: signify

This is our third attempt to contact you
You have been pre-qualified for a one-time program that will save you 35% off your current payment.
You could get up to $291,000 for as low as never.
For a no obligation consultation
To secure low rate please respond asap
Regards,
LendersTeam.


What can I add to "as low as never?" Sounds like the title to a Top 40 song. But as if that wasn't poetic enough, I also got this:

from: Clarence Linney
date: Jan 18, 2007 4:01 PM
subject: my migratio


reassure myself that the normal condemned passenger on, this flight
Landing was easy,
What do you mean tombstone? And what do you mean death sentence?
lock swung majestically open. A keen clipboard-bearing naval officer
What is your plan? he asked.
Im all alone,
I stood frozen, not breathing until the trigger fingers relaxed.
cultures of the union-
An honest answer, Captain, and I thank you for it.
chew. Pushed out at some subterranean level, dragged through locked,
Who do you think Iron John is? In the story I mean, not the one


I've been getting a lot of these emails recently, with text sounding something like a cheesy novel run through a William S. Burroughs cut-up machine. Those, and yesterday alone it seems that I've won no fewer than three separate lotteries, and they've all been trying for some time now to reach me to let me claim my prizes.

It's almost enough to make me want to pull those cables back out of my house again.

1 comment:

GreenSmile said...

In just the last few weeks, the lottery announcements have been getting through my normally super-efficient Gmail filter...even when the messages look like duplicates. I fear there has been an escalation in the power of the spam zombies.