Monday, July 24, 2006

Coming Soon: Water Dissolves Water Live!

Some days, I stare at the blank Blogger screen and can't think of a damn thing to write about. Other days, like today, my mouth is so full of words, it's hard to get any one of them out for all of the others.

Topics that want to be talked about: more on vision, perception and the mind; right speech; synchronicity; the future of this blog.

Tribal chants and rituals; bowing; the Himalaya and the Karakorum; self defense; the woman I saw in Krogers the other day.

But first, what is a Zen blog? Just what would that look like? A lot of long boring lectures on theory and history? Musings about metaphysics that nobody's really actually experienced? A day-to-day journal on the varieties of my religious experience?

If I were to be really Zen, really in the here and now (which of course, we all are all the time - have you ever been there and then?), I would not try to capture in writing something I read about the other day, or thought of while driving home from work, but what was actually and literally on my mind at the moment of composition: What's for dinner? My nose itches. Who's going to read this? Why hasn't she written back yet?

No one wants to read that blog. Hell, no one wants to write that blog.

So there's inherently a certain amount of artifice in this process. On good days, I might ask myself, "What's the best that I can bring to whom I imagine is reading this?," and that might be something that I was reading about the other day, or something that occurred to me in traffic. Or something that I think might make you smile, or make you go "Hmmmmmm," or surprise you and thus undercut your expectations.

And some days I just give up, grant myself the permission to write something that's less than the very best that I can bring, and write about what interests me, and just hope that the patient reader bears with me (see the "What I've Been Listening to Lately" posts).

Anyway, I think I may have come up with a solution, based on the input I've received and backed by my own intuition. The solution seems to be to go Live.

Watch this blog tomorrow for an announcement of "Water Dissolves Water Live!" (how's that for a hook?)

1 comment:

Kathleen Callon said...

It's a very good one.