Thursday, July 21, 2005

Pascagoula

Last night, trying to make the best of things, I went out in my rent-a-car after work and drove around Pascagoula looking for an alternative to the Interstate culture of my hotel and environs. After some searching, I finally found the shore, but there was no beach - a road runs between some of the wealthier homes in town and the Gulf, but there was at least a nice bicycle/running trail along the road. I made a note to myself to go for a run after work today.

Which didn't happen. As it turns out, a huge thunderstorm came along right about 5:30 p.m. and washed out any ideas I might have had about running along the shore. Which was too bad, because after three days of hotel living, fast food and sedentary work, I could have used the exercise. That, and I really didn't see too much else in Pascagoula to hold my interest.

But all is not bad here. I'm actually starting to acclimate, both to the heat and humidity, and to the rhythm of my days. The wireless connection is now working in my room, so there's one thing. I can watch "Tripping the Rift" on t.v. - they show about four episodes a night. And I can always sit.

But there seems to be a conspiracy against waking me up in the morning. Tuesday night, I asked for a wakeup call, which of course, was never made the next morning. So last night, I programmed the little clock in my hotel room to get me up, and awoke this morning to find if flashing - the lights must have gone out at some point, and when I went into the bathroom, I found that they were still out in that half of my room. Although I did manage to make it to the job site on time both mornings, tonight I'm going to try the belt-and-suspenders approach of both asking for a wakeup call and setting the alarm.

And that's about all I have to show for my week here. The thunder's really booming outside right now, so maybe I'll have an exciting lightning story to tell later, but when all is said and done, I'm glad to be heading home tomorrow.

No comments: