Friday, April 15, 2005

Baseball's Back



Nothing like a good Red Sox-Yankees brawl to get me back up on my feet. Last night, the Red Sox were leading the Yankees at Fenway, 6-5, when Jason Varitek tripled down the right-field line in the eighth inning. The ball hugged the wall and made its way to Gary Sheffield, who bent down for it. As he did, a fan in the front row, possibly swiping for the ball, appeared to hit Sheffield in the face. "It felt like my lip busted," Sheffield said.

After gathering the ball, but before throwing to the cutoff man, Sheffield paused and appeared to punch the fan with the ball still in his hand. He went back at the fan after throwing the ball in, but resisted the impulse to escalate the fight before teammates and police intervened. Asked what he was thinking before he backed off, Sheffield said, "Ron Artest."

Two runs scored, and the Yankees lost, 8-5. They return to Fenway on July 14.

In other events, it seems that the online world has finally gotten tired of me. Hits to this blog have dropped from over 200 a day down to a mere couple dozen or so.


Now, there could be several reasons for this. First, either everybody who wanted a copy of my picture of Ray Charles finally downloaded it, or Google.images dropped me to the bottom of the search results for those looking for pictures of Ray (or Jimi or Norah or Courtney). Not that I care much; the stats indicate that very few of those who came here looking for star pictures stayed around and read much. So I'd rather have a few interested readers than hundreds of ADD downloaders.

No comments: