Tuesday, March 01, 2005


Today was one of those superlative days when everything just seems to go your way. I had two business meetings in the morning, both of which resulted in significant new sales and opportunities for my firm. In the evening, I attended a Neighborhood Planning Unit meeting and then stopped by L.'s for some cuddling on the couch with her and her cats.

It's easy to feel good about yourself when everything goes your way. It's much harder to be upright and to stay in the moment when things are more difficult.

"Yeah, whatever," you're probably replying. "Good for you. But what's up with all the Hendrix pictures lately?"

Good question. Thought you'd never ask. The number of hits this little blog has been receiving has steadily increased from 88 per day (January 23) to 136 (January 30) to 195 (February 13) and on up to 262 per day (February 20). While I would like to think that the reason for this almost three-fold increase in traffic is the quality of my writing, an analysis of the site referrals indicates that the vast majority of the visits is to download a picture of Ray Charles that I posted back on June 11, 2004. The second most popular reason for visiting seems to be the previous day's (June 10) picture of Mount Everest. These are followed in popularity by a collage that I assembled back on August 14 of Norah Jones, and a picture of Courtney Love that I put up on July 15. After that, we've got a t-rex pic from July 16 and Jimi Hendrix from June 29.

Those six pictures are probably responsible for 95% of the traffic to this blog. Well, I figure if that's what the public wants, that's what I'll give them. Unfortunately, I don't have any more good pictures of Ray Charles, except for this gem of Ray with the late Artie Shaw, posted on January 4 of this year (I don't understand why that picture doesn't get more hits). Similarly, this picture of Courtney Love from January 18 is also generally ignored. But after that, I don't have any more pictures of Ray, Courtney or Norah.

So, if I'm going to pander to the public to keep increasing the number of hits, it seems that I'll have to post more pictures of dinosaurs, mountains and Hendrix, all of which I have plenty. Well, then so be it. Remember, you, the public, asked for this. I see that "Jimi Hendrix" has already tied Ray Charles on the list of most popular search words for this site since I started posting his pictures, so the strategy appears to be working. And that means that if and when I finally run out of Hendrix pictures, I'll have to start posting pics of mountains and dinosaurs.

Remember, you asked for this.

5 comments:

Cave Editor said...

I've been getting bunches of hits on the photo I had of the Bush twins during the campaign last fall! That with an article I published on a camera with "night vision" that seemed to render women naked... little did I know...

Mumon K said...

Well, that's a hell of a lot classier than trying to get hits by posts about sherry enemas... I know some blogger are not above that...

GreenSmile said...

If all you want is to spin your hit counter, I'll write you a bot. But does spinning a prayer wheel REALLY cause anyone to hear a prayer? You have the goods, no need to pander. Sit in while a few amatuers kick around notions of conscious and offer what you have learned...we'd be back for every post!

[the last time I saw Hendrix was in 1969 or 70 in Sacramento. The Experience played the Moemorial Auditorium...I was not stoned. ]

Anonymous said...

you can't go wrong with Jimi Hendrix

Anonymous said...

Jimi is a guitar god, and i worship him