Monday, March 07, 2005

Family Matters


I got the following email from my Mom today:
Subject: Today
Today was my thirty year anniversary at BU. My boss bought me a rose.

followed by this one from my sister (the one in Boston):
Subject: Today
Hi everyone. Today was Mom's 30 year anniversary at BU. I think all she got was a rose so please be sure to send her an email or give her a call to congratulate her on all of her hard work and dedication to the University. I know a mention in the blog would be greatly appreciated!

After 30 years all you get is a ROSE!? Well, in that case, a little shout-out on the blogosphere isn't too much to ask for. I'll bet she can't wait until her 50th anniversary when she can get that blow to the head with a sack of flour!

Sounds to me like someone in Human Resources was asleep at the switch. What kind of Dickensian hell has the American workplace devolved to, anyway?

I can sympathize - I had to log in my contract-required eight hours today, but then went off to open up the Zen Center. Right now it's raining cats and dogs outside - the streets are already starting to flood.

Speaking of parental units, yesterday, my Dad left for Ireland. He wrote, "We're going to Ireland the 6th of March for one month. St. Patrick's Day in Dublin, Ireland. Wow, that's heaven!" And, "Ireland should be fun. I'm going to find out my mother's birthplace - someplace in Northern Ireland. They say you can get that information in Belfast. Mary Augusta Reilly. Born August 10, 1898."

(I think it's safe to post her full name and D.O.B. despite the risks of identity theft on the internet, since she's been dead for over 40 years.)

Let's see, what other family news is there as long as I'm at it? Jonathan, my nephew, is still nine years old, and is showing every indication that he plans on remaining nine years old until his next birthday. Next month, I'm going off to San Francisco to visit my other sister, not the one in Boston, but the one in, well, in S.F. I plan on taking in a few Buddhist services while I'm out there, see the sights a little, and attend to some company business. One week. I hope she can stand it.

In a non-family matter, "Anonymous" posted the following comment to my June 11, 2004 blog picture of Ray Charles today:
I really like this pic. I like how it shows him in his younger years.

Well, I'm glad that you like the pic. You and approximately 10,000 others . . .

4 comments:

GreenSmile said...

30 years ago I was a student at BU the John Silber years have been one ongoing torment for any BU employee who wasn't a celebrity. It would bring out the union organizer in anybody. Your mom is to be congratulated on her fortitude if nothing else.

Shokai said...

Thanks. I was at BU then too - classes cancelled during the faculty strike, and Silber on the cover of Esquire and getting the fluff treatment from Mike Wallace on T.V. (I've never been able to watch "60 Minutes" the same since then). But, yeah, my Mom rode it all out and put me through college. Thank you for giving her the recognition she deserves.
BTW, you've got an interesting blog . . .

GreenSmile said...

You are welcome.

And as to my blog, thank you. I am still tuning it but interesting is as good as I get. It is an execise I have set myself to see if I can gracefully be both the hammer and the nail...you will perhaps be familliar with such analogical paradoxes.

Shokai said...

There is no hammer and there is no nail. There is only carpentry . . .